Sunday, February 26, 2006

kids are dumb

So I was in the Peds ER (working, not maimed), which has been fun, but sometimes kids are annoying and dumb. It was the end of my shift at 10 at night and I was about to get ready to go so I can get home and go sleep so I can be back at 8 in the morning (good times), when one of the docs grabs me and asks me to help her out. She takes me to one of the exam rooms and there, lo and behold, is the idiot. This 11 year old girl apparantly managed to jam a ring on her finger that was too small and now couldn't get it off...and her finger was mad swollen and turning a lovely shade purple. So The doc had me use "THE RING CUTTER", which is like a mini manual circular saw (you may have seen one if you yourself have been dumb in the past and had to go to the ER for a similar event.) So I have this contraption and I'm cranking on it trying to cut this damn ring off, i'm cranking and cranking, my hands are getting crampy and tetanized, trying to distract this girl (with my shining wit), and then she starts complaining. "Ow this hurts...Hurry up...Why you taking so long...My finger hurts...Come on, this is taking too long, my finger hurts..."

ummm....excuse me, aren't you the idiot that put on a small ring? Don't get mad at me for you being stupid. Yeah it's taking a long time, i'm freaking manually turning this thing with my non-dominant hand and that stupid ring is mad thick. I wanted to hit her upside the head. It didn't help that her mother was mocking her the whole time telling her that's what she gets for playing with things that don't belong to her (but very amusing, had to hide my smile everytime the mother riled her up). After a good 45 minutes of turning the stupid ring cutter and the girl's finger blowing up 3 sizes too big and purple and my hand ready to fall off, they decide to get the electrical ring cutter (must have been too logical to do that from the get go). The girl sees that and says,"No, we'll stick to this one" meaning the stupid one i've been turning and it took all my might not to want to smack some sense into her. We start using the electrical one and she starts screaming it hurts it hurts and her mother had to literally had to hold her down, but she can't feel a thing, there's a guard thing that's protecting her from being cut, AND her damn finger is swollen and numb, so how the heck can you say it hurts you big idiot. 2 seconds later the ring is off and she starts bawling and all I could do was laugh silently in the corner. Damn, I'm evil.

1 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Blogger TheBellydancingBaKeTress said...

Here I am whining about teaching cryey faced babies. I feel better after reading this. Poor U:(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home